Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Review of T. Harv Eker's "SpeedWealth"

I said I'd get it up here, and finally, here it is - my review of T. Harv Eker's "SpeedWealth - How To Make a Million in Your Own Business in 3 Years or Less".

First, its a simple book. Nothing at all complex about it. Less than 100 pages. While the advice is not unreasonable, I'm sure some will consider it too simple, just based on page count, to be worth any money. However, I tend to believe that good things need not be complex, and just because something is conceptually simple doesn't mean it is easy to execute in the real world. (Consistent trading strategies and discipline, anyone?)

The book talks about the 8 SpeedWealth principles. In order, these principles are [1] develop a SpeedWealth mindset, [2] deliver massive value, [3] timing - choosing the right business at the right time, [4] systemize, [5] duplicate, [6] leverage, [7] cashing out and [8] do it now! Like I said, simple. Having gone through various failed ventures over the last 10 years or so, I'd definitely agree that all of these are important. Admittedly, number 4 is my favorite just because it is the one I've had the most problems with in the past. I also think these principles hold value at the individual level, and I am all about automating things like investments and financial management (as much as reasonable, anyway).

Now, as for whether I would recommend this book. The answer is yes. Its not a long or difficult read. I read it the first time in about 90 minutes, and I read slowly. I know someone out there is complaining right now about something - either because Harv is the author, or they read it and didn't like it, or some other reason. I don't have anything to tell them. I don't think good knowledge or wisdom MUST be complex. Generally, I find complexity is used as a coverup by people who are extremely insecure. I can only speak for myself, and I am seriously considering buying as many copies of the book as make sense so I can give them away to people I know. Simple things which, if applied, can have huge impact in one's life. I like that.

Anyway, I think I rambled again. Fugg it, I'm done. I liked it. If you stumble across a copy, take a read. Hopefully, if you're working on building a business, the book will help you to find ways to address problems and build that business more quickly, effectively and to a larger scale. Or maybe you'll find applicability of the principles in your personal life.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And if you can find a copy of the Speedwealth CD set he used to sell in the 90s, that's even better. They're rare, but perhaps they're on ebay.