Monday, January 22, 2007

Back in the Game

Apologies for the lag. The last week has seen me sick, busy, traveling and generally all over the map. Now I'm again ready to play.

So far, things are pretty disappointing on the investment front. Just looking at the wheat charts puts me in tears. I've got 1 month before my March call expires. So far, I'm down. I'm not going to get into how much I'm down, just being down is bad enough. Might have to close this one out. This would appear to be my punishment for chasing performance. We'll see how much value I can salvage on that one.

*sigh*

Anyway, the trip to Cali was a success. I was able to sit down with one of my key advisors and get some good input on writing the business plan, putting together the financials, and other business related topics. On the technology side, I was able to procure some hardware to actually conduct testing of the product my partner is building. I feel good. We're working to have a running demo (that actually does something; at the moment the code runs but doesn't work through no fault of our own) by month's end.

Anyway, for those who are interested, Bill Gross has his January commentary posted over on the PIMCO website. Always worth a read, I think. On the same site, Paul McCulley has a convo with Morgan le Fay about the direction of the Fed Funds. As always, good stuff from the PIMCO crew.

Now that I'm getting back to my reading, I have to wonder how I missed this one over at FT.com (courtesy of Barry Ritholtz at TBP). Dollar decline, anyone? Yeah, I see a great future in this currency. Its never a problem until it is.

Anyway, coming soon will be a piece about alpha in the university endowment world, after I get a chance to read this in full.

Until next time...

No comments: