Friday, September 19, 2008

Buffett's Latest Buy

This is really just a stream of consciousness post.

A friend of mine sent along a recent Market Mover's post by Felix Salmon over at Portfolio. Anyway, in reading this, especially the comments, it occurred to me that Buffett will probably ditch the trading operation. Now, I'm not sure who the buyer might be, but considering that trading likely had something to do with making Constellation Energy the target it became, weakening it and increasing the collateral requirements, I can't see MidAmerican holding on. It seems a bit too volatile for Berkshire.

I think about the General Re acquisition some years ago. It took a long time, but Buffett unwound a bunch of contracts that Ge Re had entered into which increased the overall corporate risk exposure. I'll go dig up that story if I have some time. The same forces would appear to come into play now with CEG. Buffett will keep the parts that generate free cash and sell off the bits that detract more than they add, slowly if necessary but quickly otherwise. At least, that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

Thoughts?

Its all about risk management, baby. I think that, if nothing else, is the lesson of the week.

No comments: