Saturday, February 24, 2007

Net Worth Update

It has been a while since I've done one of these, so its time to get caught up.

Good news abounds for this net worth update. We'll start with the bonus from my J.O.B. that I was completely not expecting. I won't rehash the details of my failed consulting gig, but after returning to my current company, I figured I had no hope of getting the bonus that was promised to employees who stayed with the company. (It was an acquisition of my old company by the new company.) I left shortly after the acquisition closed only to return a few weeks later and found that most traces of my existence had been obliterated. So naturally I thought I'd end up being the red headed stepchild of the bonus pool. Not so. I guess my performance finally got noticed. (It only took 3.5 years and a resignation.) That was very beneficial to the bottom line.

Also helpful was the slight (and I do mean slight) "merit" (ha!) increase I received. Not enough to bother calculating really; I think it means an extra $100 per month take home, if I'm lucky. Most of that will get funneled to emergency savings. However, I won't argue with money. Nope, not me. I think there is a enough flexibility to max out my 401(k) contributions now too. (I had been at 14% and now the limit is 15% - woo hoo!)

I have (unfortunately?) done some consulting work recently which will help bulk up my account balances. Nothing large, as I don't charge most of my clients anywhere near market rates (2 out of 3; the last one does pay market, and on time too!). Every dollar helps though. I'm not complaining.

All told, factoring in the most recent increases in most of my accounts, I have finally surpassed $90,000 in net worth. Actually, the numbers work out to about $95,000. Quite a substantial jump from where I was expecting to land. If things continue like this, I should be at 100K within 2 months. The annual goal is 150K. Very aggressive, but not outside the realm of possibility. I'll keep you posted.

Until next time...

No comments: