Thursday, May 18, 2006

Expenses and a few blow-ups

I somehow have managed to spend over $600 this month on concert tickets. Now I did buy tickets for friends, so I haven't received that money yet, but my expenses for this month are going to be a little messed up. I might sell a few on eBay depending on my schedule, but as of right now I'm going to use them all. I have to watch my spending for the rest of the month in order to meet my savings goal. I did receive my federal tax refund, so this will help for this month.

The indices have gone through a rough couple of days. The S&P lost the majority of its gains (it's up about 1.08% YTD) while the Naz is down 1.13% for the year.
I've gone through a few blow-ups in my portfolio that has sent my portfolio down. What was on track to being a great year (in terms of my returns vs the S&P) is now just an okay year. I'm still beating the index, but I've lost a good amount of gains. I had two stocks decline over 10% in a day, and one down 4% or so. It hasn't been too fun and I might sell one due to a change in fundamentals. This means I'll take a loss and I haven't done that in a long time. This definitely doesn't change my outlook though. If I think the stock is bad, then I'll sell it and take the loss!

I'm going to take it easy the next week and then after that I will start looking for more investments. Some stocks should appear to look cheap because they have been dragged down by the markets. I'm going to actively look for more foreign stocks, no tech stocks, stocks with stable dividends, and small/mid-cap stocks. I will also look into the consumer sector.
Overall, I think a blend of these combinations will be best for me. I'll have some stability, generate some income, be hedged against the U.S., and hopefully find some alpha producing opportunities in lesser known names.

I also added the Investing Idea blog.

No comments: