Thursday, December 29, 2005

Wrapping up the month and year

Well it's time for me to call it quits for 2005. I won't be posting over the weekend and I'll use today as my net worth review.

The good news is that I hit my year end goal! I'm assuming tomorrow is going to be a quiet day in the markets, so my portfolio shouldn't fluctuate too much. My 2005 year end goal was $32,000 and I ended the year with: $32,424
It was a bit closer than I liked, but the important thing is that I hit the goal.
This represents an increase of almost $1,400 from November, which is pretty good considering I had to pay for Christmas things, New Years event, and a half month's worth of rent.

January should be an expensive month because of a few trips, full months rent, and I have to pay a deposit.

The Dow ended almost perfectly flat for the year (well there's tomorrow) and the S&P managed to gain 3.5%
My current portfolio (existing positions) finished the year up 8.2%.
For the year, my total gains are more than this because of some trades I did during the year. For instance I had one position (LB) that was a +15 or 20% gain. I need to go through my statements to figure the end result, but I'm confident the total number is over 10% for the year.
I'm glad I beat the S&P, but this years results were lower than my historic average. I've been averaging over 20%/year and this year will bring down that average to around 17%.
There's always next year, and I think I can do a lot better.

I hope everyone has a great New Years and I'll be back next week!