Thursday, March 27, 2008

DB9 Sighting

I just had to throw this one in, because this happens so infrequently these days. When I lived in SoCal, I'd see some exotic car every day, usually a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. But even Aston Martins were definitely more prevalent in the car state than they are in the Washington, DC metro area - DEFINITELY!

Yesterday morning, Wednesday, 26 March, I was making a run up Interstate 95 to one of the local big, well known malls. Around the exit for MD Route 32, a white car merged into traffic. At first, I thought it was simply a Jaguar XK, which is nothing special, even with the new body. However, after a quick second glance, I realized I was in the presence of a far more gracious auto - an Aston Martin DB9.

Anyway, at first, I wasn't sure which Aston I was seeing. Given that the Vanquish is gone, and the Vantage looks to be the entry level model, I had to choose from between the DBS and the DB9. I dropped back just enough to see the DB9 markings on the tail. I will admit, the car is very sweet to look at. This particular vehicle was a convertible with a beige top. Very nice for the mid-range Aston, if a bit unassuming. I think I'll have to test drive one ASAP. Alas, I did not follow him very long as he seemed to be taking a leisurely pace to his destination, while I was a it more intentional with my driving. That said, I will definitely be on the lookout for Astons, as I have noticed a small uptick in their numbers, even in DC. Will the trend hold? We shall see!

It is disturbing that the new Vantage is a platform car, based on the same fundamental engineering components as the new Jaguar XK. Now that Aston is free of Ford, I hope the design teams over there are cranking up the luxury of that model. Mistaking a low end Aston Martin for the top of the line Jaguar should never happen. Both nameplates have too much history, but until recently they were both tied together under the same dying parent. I can't wait to see what comes out of Aston on the low end in the future.

On that final note...good morning, gentle readers...

No comments: