Thursday, March 10, 2005

The First Post (otherwise known as non-original-title post)

The idea of creating a blog has been on my mind for awhile, so I decided to do something about this. I read a few finance/savings blogs on a daily basis and I thought it was a great idea for me to start one as well.

Here's my goal for this blog: track my financial goals, sometimes rant about things that bug me, and give some info about what's going on with my life.

About me: I currently live in Northern California (the Bay Area), but I might be moving soon (more info about this later). It's an exciting and scary time in my life because I'm almost done with college. I am almost 23 and have completed my Economics degree. In this last semester, I'm finishing my Finance degree. I have been investing in stocks since the age of 15 and it has been my passion ever since. I also have other interests that include: basketball, watching sports, going to the gym, reading, listening to all types of music, checking out new places, and bowling (but I'm quite bad).

Goals: I tend to be humble when it comes to stocks and options, because I know that there's a ton of information I still need to learn. Investing is one of the areas where you can never know enough, and when you think you know a lot- something will happen to put you back in your place. But after saying that, I do have extremely high goals for myself. I want to be the best investor out there and
If I happen to fail at this I do have a back-up goal: hopefully attain $4 million by the age of 45-50 so I can retire and travel the rest of my life (5% through muni bonds would generate $200k/year, which should be plenty).
Besides these main goals, I do have smaller goals.

For college:
1. Graduate with a GPA of over 3.6 (I'm currently at a 3.68 and only have two classes to go. I should hit this goal as long as I don't screw up).
2. Have liquid savings of at least $20,000. This was the original goal, but it has now been revised to $25,000.

My next post will detail my financials.
Please post any comments you have!

3 comments:

Neville said...

Jason,

Feel free to link.

Reading your post, it seems we are in similar stages of our lives. We are both 22 and have roughly 20K in assets. How did you build your wealth?

What stocks do you invest in, and how much do you have invested (if you don't mind me asking?)

Anonymous said...

You said you have been investing from age 15--have you fully been in the market from back then to the present as that would be great compound growth.

savingadvice said...

Neville: thanks for the message, I plan to post my positions within the next few days. I'm going to try to update the blog on a daily basis, we'll see how that goes


Anonymous: thanks for posting a comment, one of my next posts will detail sort of my investing history. I'll try to include as much info as possible.